Monday, September 21, 2009

Menu Planning Monday







Having a menu plan for each week makes my week run a lot smoother. Especially during football season. My son Sean plays on Monday nights, so you will see a lot of prep ahead meals for Monday's dinner. Sunday we doubled the recipe for the Garlic and Rosemary Meatballs in Red Sauce from last weeks menu. We had it over buttered egg noodles Sunday night and used the leftover meatballs and sauce in hot dog buns with shredded mozzarella tonight(Monday). This made for a very easy post game meal without hitting the drive-thru. I will post this recipe tomorrow. If y'all have any great two for one recipes please feel free to leave them in the comment section or post a link to them.


The Big Boy Sugo turned out good. We made a few changes to the original recipe and I will post it tomorrow. I does take a little time to prepare. I would recommend making it on the weekend when you won't feel too rushed. The flavors of this dish are very good. It is even better the second day and reheats well.


Finally, my favorite new side dish is the Not Potato Salad. It has roasted red peppers in it and I really love those. The recipe uses gnocchi instead of potatoes. I really enjoyed the texture of the gnocchi. Even my son, who dislikes all things potatoes, gobbled up this side dish. I will be making this again.


Now for this weeks menu.


Monday-Leftover Garlic and Rosemary Meatballs in Red Sauce on hot dog buns, chips, and cantaloupe


Tuesday-Chicken Enchilada Casserole with all the fixing's and sliced apples


Wednesday-Steaks, baked potatoes, and salad


Thursday-Parmesan-Dijon Chicken, angel hair pasta w/pesto, Basil-Red Pepper Muffins, and salad




Saturday-Dinner Out after church


Sunday Supper-Dinner-Size Texas Chili Cheese Fries (a request of my daughter's that I agreed to since Dad will be out of town) and fruit


I know what you're thinking. I told you, just a few minutes ago, how much Sean dislikes potatoes. In my defense, I am not trying to torment the poor boy. My theory is that I keep offering the detested veggie in hopes that someday that he will enjoy them. As of right now, he likes baked potatoes and steak fries. The Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes is a new recipe for us. I will let you know whether it gets a thumbs up or down from Sean next week.


Are there any veggie detesters in your household? How do you get your kids to eat their veggies?


If you would like to take a peek at what others have on their menus this week head over to Menu Plan Monday at Org Junkie.

No comments:

Post a Comment